Our History

History of Milwaukie Lutheran Church

Formation and Affiliation

The Milwaukie Lutheran Church of Milwaukie Oregon was formed on February 10, 1946 and became a part of the Evangelical Lutheran Church (ELC).  In 1960, Milwaukie Lutheran became part of the American Lutheran Church (ALC) and in 1987 joined the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA).

Facilities

The first church building was erected in 1948 with the first service in the building held on Easter Sunday, March 28. There were 320 in attendance.  This building was located across from Milwaukie High School in downtown Milwaukie.  The building served the congregation from 1948 to 1963 when the congregation outgrew the original building.

Our present siite was purchased at 3810 SE Lake Road.  The first worship service here was held on August 25, 1963.  Following the completion of the Educational Unit, Fellowship Hall and Church offices, work began on the sanctuary itself.  On June 19, 1966, the present church sanctuary was dedicated.

In 2003, the congregation voted to purchase the “Corner Property”, a house that is situated between the church and Lake Road.  The Youth and Family Director and his family currently reside in this home.

Pastors

Pr. Waldo Ellickson
Pr. Frithjof Eide
Dr. Elmer Johnson (Interim)
Pr. Lloyd (Bud) Roholt
Pr. Lowell Nelson (Assoc.)
Pr. Arthur (Butch) Olson (Assoc.)
Pr. Gilbert Rossing (Interim Assoc.)
Pr. Eric Fosgard (Assoc.)
Pr. Harlow Jacobson (Assoc.)
Pr. Joan Hunt (Assoc.)
Pr. Don Haven
Pr. Elizabeth Ekdale (Interim Assoc.)
Pr. Charles Mantey (Assoc.)
Pr. Burt Schroeder (Interim)
Pr. Jim Liefeld
Pr. Charles Mantey
Pr. Janelle Aldrich-Dale (Interim)
Pr. Jesse Christopherson 
1945 – 1950
1951 – 1955
1955 – 1956
1956 – 1990
1966 – 1971
1972 – 1977
1977 – 1978
1979 – 1981
1979 – 1991
1987 – 1990
1991 – 1994
1991 – 1992
1992 – 2005
1994 – 1995
1995 – 2004
2005 – 2010
2010 – 2012
2012 – Present

Leave a Reply